Do gun controller games still exist?

dougle00

Trophies
Hi, when I was younger I used to love the gun controller games where you could shoot at the screen with a handgun. I can't seem to find a game like this anymore. Do they still exist? I just don't like using controllers and would rather just have a gun to point and shoot.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

You're not going to see a lot of them for home use these days, barring someone doing the enthusiast thing and setting up a MAME cabinet or retro emulation station with modern hardware. The problem with GunCon games these days is that LCD-based screens don't work the same as CRTs, so older controllers won't work with them. The old controllers would use a flash of the CRT combined with the sensor in the gun to detect if the gun was in the right location when the trigger was pulled. Workarounds have been found for use with emulators, but those usually involve a sensor bar and a gun that includes an IR emitter, a la the Wiimote, or some other sort of converter box to plug the controllers into. There is a company out there producing a product called the Sinden Lightgun - Sinden Lightgun – The official site for the Sinden Lightgun - that works without a sensor bar, but I can't vouch for it as I haven't tested it.

Yeah, they're super difficult to find for modern technologies these days, for home use at least, so it's actually easier to whip out the SNES and a cheap CRT and just goto town having a blast. That's what I do :D

The last one I played was Time Crisis 4 for PS3/Move. Don't think that counts but it's closest I can think of.

The SNES bazooka was the most fun, IMO, some of the games it was used for were great when you had friends over, just blasting away. House of the Dead has to be the all time best gun game, though, without question.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back