News Diversity must not lead to conflict, says CD Projekt Red studio head

Clout

Trophies
CD Projekt CEO Adam Kiciński and CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski have given an interview discussing the studio's approach to inclusion and diversity at the publisher.
The interview, originally given in Polish to Rzeczpospolita Daily, was translated into English for the CDP website. In it, interviewer Katarzyna Kucharcyzk probes Kiciński and Badowski about how the company comes across as more vocal on diversity and injustice than other companies in the increasingly-conservative Poland.
Talking about the importance of tolerance in the creative process, Badowski discusses how some at the studio believe in a definition of tolerance as "the capacity to respect other people's needs and opinions which we ourselves do not espouse, and to refrain from combating phenomena which we regard as evil. Others are more in line with Popper’s proposition that a tolerant society, if it is to remain tolerant, must not tolerate intolerance. There are also people at our studio who disagree with both views."
While Badowksi himself doesn't say which definition he ascribes to, he does say "The key takeaway is that diversity... and the differing sensitivities and outlooks which result from it, must not lead to conflict. In this way our team’s energy can be fully directed towards creation."

Does anyone else think this sounds really bad?

From a creative standpoint, while trying to direct a large studio of individuals, it sounds OK. You respect viewpoints that aren't evil, be accepting of others, and try not to create conflict where there isn't any. That's pretty much a reasonable and classically liberal position.

Part of life is working around a lot of people who are essentially opponents on various political subjects. Difficulty is managing a large team comprised of folks who come in all shapes and sizes, and trying to get them to work together despite substantial differences in personality. I have had to direct individuals who don’t think I should have the right to marry the same sex, and I have to leave the politics behind. I have specific objectives to meet, and debating them on same sex marriage in the work place is not going to lead to results.

So no, not really.

I've done lots of jobs where I've had to work with and/or serve lots of folks and/or institutions that I personally do not agree with and find objectionable on a moral level. I just do my best to be an adult and do my job anyway. If I feel I can't do that, then I'd think I need to step away from the work.

I do wonder though for people that say no, you must stand up to evil. What is "evil"? We live in a society that can't even agree on the fundamental basics of morality, of right and wrong itself. We can't even agree on what is more important to judging the morality of an action, the intention or the consequence.

What makes you think we can so easily label and refuse to accept "evil"?

I've done lots of jobs where I've had to work with and/or serve lots of folks and/or institutions that I personally do not agree with and find objectionable on a moral level. I just do my best to be an adult and do my job anyway. If I feel I can't do that, then I'd think I need to step away from the work.

I do wonder though for people that say no, you must stand up to evil. What is "evil"? We live in a society that can't even agree on the fundamental basics of morality, of right and wrong itself. We can't even agree on what is more important to judging the morality of an action, the intention or the consequence.

Evil for me is any kind of perspective that encourages or promotes harm. Racism, bigotry, the kind of racial extermination people like neo nazis advocate, et al. At no point is it ok to me to dislike or disfavor someone because of race, or want to deny people basic human rights because they're gay, kill people because they're Jewish, etc. Evil is pretty clear cut to me.

Evil for me is any kind of perspective that encourages or promotes harm. Racism, bigotry, the kind of racial extermination people like neo nazis advocate, et al. At no point is it ok to me to dislike or disfavor someone because of race, or want to deny people basic human rights because they're gay, kill people because they're Jewish, etc. Evil is pretty clear cut to me.
Sure, but all of those criteria are subjective in and of themselves. In some places I'm called a dirty Jew (I'm not Jewish) and an n-word lover, and in other places I'm called a racist and white nationalist (I'm neither of those things either). So, it's still not so clear cut. The people that call me those things are quite sure they are right about it.

But I assure you I have no special love for Jews or blacks or anyone, just as I hold no ill will toward anyone either.

I think forcefully adding the diversity and the new age trend is bad for the studio. Some of the time you have to add what is needed and not add what you think is a good thing. I think the developer studios need to have their own freedom in order for them to do good in the gaming side.

I mean sure until you lable everything you dont like as a nazi, then it starts be become a problem

Exactly. I've worked with people who I don't like or get on but I choose to be civil about it and do my job anyway. It's part of life, you just got to TRY and get on with everyone, or at least move yourself away from the situation.

Sounds like a healthy, practical company, so no, it's the opposite of really bad. I'm sure their common sense approach will have them crucified in some dingier corners of the internet, though.

I would add to my other comment, that from the perspective of many white nationalists, they don't so much hate others as they think the white race is under attack. So, that's why they call me the names they do for calling them out on their BS. From their perspective, I'm helping destroy the white race, from their perspective, I'm evil.

I mean sure until you lable everything you dont like as a nazi, then it starts be become a problem

Neo nazis proudly label and promote themselves. I nor anyone else has to do it for them. Calling them out will never be a problem - unless you think they're OK.

Neo nazis proudly label and promote themselves. I nor anyone else has to do it for them. Calling them out will never be a problem - unless you think they're OK.
Pointless disclaimer: No civil member of this board thinks nazis are ok.

Now, onto the poster's actual argument and your response to it. The bastardisation of language to the point where THQ Nordic or Warhorse Studios or CD Projekt Red are labelled as nazis or some other unsavoury term by the most unsavoury assortment of people is one of the key reasons discourse has declined and polarisation has increased. Surely if neo nazis are happy to label themselves as such (they aren't always) there'd be no need to affix the label yourself. But words have very specific meanings and definitions, and saying something offensive about trans people or creating a game with a historical setting exclusively populated by Caucasians doesn't pass muster as one of the ones under 'Nazism'.

(That, it should go without saying, goes for all the isms and phobias.)

Pointless disclaimer: No civil member of this board thinks nazis are ok.

Now, onto the poster's actual argument and your response to it. The bastardisation of language to the point where THQ Nordic or Warhorse Studios or CD Projekt Red are labelled as nazis or some other unsavoury term by the most unsavoury assortment of people is one of the key reasons discourse has declined and polarisation has increased. Surely if neo nazis are happy to label themselves as such (they aren't always) there'd be no need to affix the label yourself. But words have very specific meanings and definitions, and saying something offensive about trans people or creating a game with a historical setting exclusively populated by Caucasians doesn't pass muster as one of the ones under 'Nazism'.

(That, it should go without saying, goes for all the isms and phobias.)

Again, no one needs to apply labels or try to define nazi speech. They do that just fine by themselves.

As to people thinking CD Projekt Red or other studios were hateful isn't something I was aware of. None of them seem hateful to me, going back to my original post mentioning companies are formed of individuals.

Again, no one needs to apply labels or try to define nazi speech. They do that just fine by themselves.

As to people thinking CD Projekt Red or other studios were hateful isn't something I was aware of. None of them seem hateful to me, going back to my original post mentioning companies are formed of individuals.
My point was intended to be more vague and not directed at you or them.

Its thatthe use of these lables in them selfs is a detriment because the subjective nature of the argument.

Whats a nazi?
Do you have to gass a jew to be a nazi?

Does laughing at a black joke make you a nazi?

Does refusing to kiss black feet at a BLM rally count as being a nazi?

Anyone can draw that line anywhere they want. So were left with the choice of either all of the above are nazis (which probably counts ever person on this board), or no one is a nazi

The thing is that people who colonized others and enslaved others should not have an opinion on how it feels to be discriminated and enslaved. so yeah studio needs to mind that as far as where the diversity goes and where it shoudl not. I can totally understand LGBTQ attacking whites can be one issue but studios are pretty much controlling speech using LGBTQ members deciding what qualifies for diversitiy in gaming.

The thing is that people who colonized others and enslaved others should not have an opinion on how it feels to be discriminated and enslaved. so yeah studio needs to mind that as far as where the diversity goes and where it shoudl not. I can totally understand LGBTQ attacking whites can be one issue but studios are pretty much controlling speech using LGBTQ members deciding what qualifies for diversitiy in gaming.
Who alive today in the West did that? Not me. I find it amazing that I'm not responsible for being a fatass, but I am responsible for things that happened hundreds of years before I was born.

I reject the concept of "Cosmic Justice"

Making me pay for the sins of my fathers is not you getting justice, that's you screwing me and justifying it. Big difference.

(Not "you" per se, but the people that knowingly or unknowingly propagate cosmic justice)

Who alive today in the West did that? Not me. I find it amazing that I'm not responsible for being a fatass, but I am responsible for things that happened hundreds of years before I was born.
You didn't but there are people who are still at play for the politics in another continent from your lineage not necessarily you. Nobody blames you. It's not individual, it's about people in play. Think about it. China bought victoria falls recently by using debt method, the same method that whites ones used in africa and asia to enslave them. Inavders change, invasions doesn't. This is one reason many whites came out for equality, not to suppress whites but to suppress potential invasions on cultures, races and lands.

You didn't but there are people who are still at play for the politics in another continent from your lineage not necessarily you. Nobody blames you. It's not individual, it's about people in play. Think about it. China bought victoria falls recently by using debt method, the same method that whites ones used in africa and asia to enslave them. Inavders change, invasions doesn't. This is one reason many whites came out for equality, not to suppress whites but to suppress potential invasions on cultures, races and lands.
U Fukin wot?

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back