News Discord is rebranding to move away from gaming

Discord has added a program called Discord Nitro so they are making money from it. Even on some smaller servers that I am on, there are a few Nitro users so I presume they have loads of paying members
That would not be much compared to what the slack and flock is offering. They are literally cashing in like the zoom using the chat for workplace demands. I think that is why the discord is moving in that direction as well. gaming community does not earn much in this space.

I suppose the question is if Discord have moved fast enough. Be first or be first loser. The market for remote collaboration is huge at the moment due to working from home. But you needed to be in there at the start. Discord looks like a gaming IRC rather than a professional work-based site.

Yeah, they need to work hard to get rid of that gaming connection if they do want to move to a professional work-based site. I'm not sure how many companies would be willing to use Discord instead of Teams or Slack.

I can't see it see it being used in companies as everyone seems to use team now. Even Skype has died out, which is a shame because Discord is by far the best :)

I can't see it see it being used in companies as everyone seems to use team now. Even Skype has died out, which is a shame because Discord is by far the best :)
Yeah, Skype seems dead now a days. I haven't tried out Team yet, is it any good? I think Discord is ahead right now.

I suppose the question is if Discord have moved fast enough. Be first or be first loser. The market for remote collaboration is huge at the moment due to working from home. But you needed to be in there at the start. Discord looks like a gaming IRC rather than a professional work-based site.
Exactly my point. They didn't got the remote work aspect of it. And that is going to cost some amount of the users. In near future I hope that they may make money like Microsoft Team does but as of now I don't see this going much ahead. It seems like a bit difficult for them to break existing players.

Teams was always going to be a huge success because it has Micro$oft as a prefix. There’s not much M$ touches which doesn’t turn to gold. We have Teams at work.

Yeah Teams is definitely good. If it were to be from Google, I'd have said it could fail because since Gmail not a lot of google products are in success, even youtube was purchased proprety. Microsoft on the other hands seems to be making some software pure gold as well.

Discord claims user safety will be a major focus. "We will continue to take decisive action against white supremacists, racists and others who seek to use Discord for evil,” the company said.

I wonder how they're gonna enforce that and what is gonna be considered bigotry or will they simply become like Twitter and Facebook where a mere comment is taken out of context and deemed offensive regardless... This will be interesting to witness.

Makes sense. It's being used for pretty much everything these days so this is a no brainer

Yeah, Skype seems dead now a days. I haven't tried out Team yet, is it any good? I think Discord is ahead right now.
That kinda sucks as skype was a decent im system... but not the best.

I wonder how they're gonna enforce that and what is gonna be considered bigotry or will they simply become like Twitter and Facebook where a mere comment is taken out of context and deemed offensive regardless... This will be interesting to witness.
Probably the latter, it's becoming a trend now to take everyone in an offence.

That kinda sucks as skype was a decent im system... but not the best.
Skype stopped innovating. This remote conference and the project management field needs a lot of innovation and regular updates. Skype stopped after some time no new features other than calls and the local messenger type usage. So it was meant to end some day.

Skype stopped innovating. This remote conference and the project management field needs a lot of innovation and regular updates. Skype stopped after some time no new features other than calls and the local messenger type usage. So it was meant to end some day.
True. With discords introduction of private servers it would have been a bit hard to compete.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back