Digital games or physical copy?

Jedi

Trophies
What do you prefer? Do you prefer to buy games digitally on the online store or do you prefer having the physical copy and why?

I prefer to buy a digital copy of the game as I do not need to worry about losing it, lending it, scratching or worse, breaking it.

Physical media is on its way out in many ways, and while many gamers still prefer to get physical copies of their favorite video games, many opt to download digital versions too, as a safeguard. Whether you're going digital-only or you want a digitized backup for your physical video gaming media. Focusing on this section of our video games category allows you to zero in on games that come in a digital format.

I think physical discs need to be an option because some nations are not yet quick on the internet speed. And they may still have to rely on the DVD and other ways. So internet based download can be one option. And people should always find out games and programs that can be distributed through the physical medium.

I always have preferred to download my video games. It's cheaper, faster and overall easier for me to do so. There are a lot of discounts and sales available online and usually I can grab the game for less than 50% of the full price. Physical copies require space in the house to be stored, can be broken or scratched and then you will need to re-buy the game.

I'll only get digital if 1. the game is impossible to find in physical format or 2. the game is just a break game, as in something I want to load up quickly for a short game session.

Otherwise call me old fashion, I rather own physical discs.

Depends on the platform for me really. For any of my PC based games it is digital copies all the way. It just makes sense and as @Demon_skeith said, generally cheaper, especially from the likes of CDKeys. For my XBOX One though, I'm a physical disk all the way. I just don't get doing it on my XBOX for some reason and I love popping into a store and popping out with a copy of that game I want. Just makes the trip into the city worth it haha.

I think PC based gaming option these days have the DLC option. And the new games make use of that per level too. I think this way many android games are offering bundles. And they add some sort of pay wall for the game. And it definitely works in that context. I'd say that digital downloads are the future.

I see lots and lots of talks about consoles going digital but isn't this a bad idea, the main reasons I think this are; 1) a lot of regiends don't have good internet so a download will be longer then a update 2) when psn goes down for example your locked out of your digital games were disc you anrt 3) disc provides more offline capabilities meaning you don't need WiFi 4) trading and sharing are only possible via discs

Would love to hear other thoughts on this

I think the thing is that game developers are more profitable with subscription and the cloud based games. So this way there is less piracy and gamers who want games also stay in the gaming. So it's more profitable that way.

I think the thing is that game developers are more profitable with subscription and the cloud based games. So this way there is less piracy and gamers who want games also stay in the gaming. So it's more profitable that way.

I can understand a more profitable way around it but if others internet means a 100gb game for example takes 3 days to download then they would be out of gaming

Yes the 100GB type of games would only be focused on the rich countries in such case. Like say US, Canda, UK and others. But apart from that other countries are going to struggle. And not a lot can be done in such case. In that case indie game developers need to be supported more.

I totally agree I think they should keep it disc for now till the world catches up with internet plus steel books and collecter editions will always been needed

Digital is most certainly the way forward. Consoles won’t be 100% digital any time soon but it’s getting there. I love my physical collection as much as the next guy, but it’s on the way out.

If you think about it, technology has been evolving past physical connections for the past few years; Apple removing the headphone jack, wireless charging, etc.

Digital games are much more profitable for developers and publishers. It completely cuts out the retailer. Also you’ll never lose your games, and it’s much more convenient.

I think with Stadia, the digital is going way forward and reducing the amount of download specific issues. You can just use the stadia like browser games and that should take care of the rest. I'd say that digital gaming would be lot more controlled and less piracy in future.

I think with Stadia, the digital is going way forward and reducing the amount of download specific issues. You can just use the stadia like browser games and that should take care of the rest. I'd say that digital gaming would be lot more controlled and less piracy in future.

I'm actually quite excited for Stadia. Hopefully this isn't a let down and is actually a good down to earth console with the capability they are claiming it's going to be.

They are also now releasing a new Xbox One S that's all digital and doesn't even have a disc in it. Now that right there is a mistake in my opinion. Mainly because the way I see it you should always at least have the option to use a disc. What if the gamer had a game in his collection that wasn't digital? It's a huge mistake because then your limited to only being able to use digital. This is a huge scheme by Microsoft in my opinion so that more users will buy subscriptions to Gamer Pass and it's a huge mistake. Especially at the price which is going to be close to $250. I got my Xbox One S 2 years ago for only $225 with Gears of War 4 included at Gamestop so this is a huge rip off in comparison. At that price they better not only include the disc input but also a game with it. Freaking rip off.

But yeah Stadia is going to be an interesting move towards the gaming industry franchise. Can't wait.

I do see your point though. But Google can't be trusted with the digital gaming. And stadia can't be the long term solution in such context. I hope that we find something that can be good digitally and also it can be good for the long term gaming solution.

A all digital gaming platform is a good idea. Many regions do not have a fast broadband so downloading ans updating could be a problem. New technology is often expensive upon initial release too.

A all digital gaming platform is a good idea. Many regions do not have a fast broadband so downloading ans updating could be a problem. New technology is often expensive upon initial release too.

you are contradicting yourself you know that right?

I can see why companies are doing this and I know its a good business decision, but as pointed out above its just not possible enough to reach all their audiences. And if you can't get to everyone then they would be losing money, plus put more burden on people with bandwidth limits as well.

I think companies are not at all bothered about low income regions and the regions which have the low speed broadband. They want to make money so they are only opening up the digital download to the people who can afford. Same like apple type approach.

I think if more and more people tend to make use of the modern PCs and the devices. I don't think there would be any physical copies of the game in near future. Most likely people would be spending the money on stadia. And also other similar devices where they get to play on subscription basis.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back