Digital games or physical copy?

Aries

Administrator
What do you prefer? Do you prefer to buy games digitally on the online store or do you prefer having the physical copy and why?

I prefer to buy a digital copy of the game as I do not need to worry about losing it, lending it, scratching or worse, breaking it.

rockpen23

Physical media is on its way out in many ways, and while many gamers still prefer to get physical copies of their favorite video games, many opt to download digital versions too, as a safeguard. Whether you're going digital-only or you want a digitized backup for your physical video gaming media. Focusing on this section of our video games category allows you to zero in on games that come in a digital format.

Nova

I think physical discs need to be an option because some nations are not yet quick on the internet speed. And they may still have to rely on the DVD and other ways. So internet based download can be one option. And people should always find out games and programs that can be distributed through the physical medium.

Gopnik

I always have preferred to download my video games. It's cheaper, faster and overall easier for me to do so. There are a lot of discounts and sales available online and usually I can grab the game for less than 50% of the full price. Physical copies require space in the house to be stored, can be broken or scratched and then you will need to re-buy the game.

I'll only get digital if 1. the game is impossible to find in physical format or 2. the game is just a break game, as in something I want to load up quickly for a short game session.

Otherwise call me old fashion, I rather own physical discs.

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Verified
Depends on the platform for me really. For any of my PC based games it is digital copies all the way. It just makes sense and as @Demon_skeith said, generally cheaper, especially from the likes of CDKeys. For my XBOX One though, I'm a physical disk all the way. I just don't get doing it on my XBOX for some reason and I love popping into a store and popping out with a copy of that game I want. Just makes the trip into the city worth it haha.

Nova

I think PC based gaming option these days have the DLC option. And the new games make use of that per level too. I think this way many android games are offering bundles. And they add some sort of pay wall for the game. And it definitely works in that context. I'd say that digital downloads are the future.

I see lots and lots of talks about consoles going digital but isn't this a bad idea, the main reasons I think this are; 1) a lot of regiends don't have good internet so a download will be longer then a update 2) when psn goes down for example your locked out of your digital games were disc you anrt 3) disc provides more offline capabilities meaning you don't need WiFi 4) trading and sharing are only possible via discs

Would love to hear other thoughts on this

Nova

I think the thing is that game developers are more profitable with subscription and the cloud based games. So this way there is less piracy and gamers who want games also stay in the gaming. So it's more profitable that way.

I think the thing is that game developers are more profitable with subscription and the cloud based games. So this way there is less piracy and gamers who want games also stay in the gaming. So it's more profitable that way.

I can understand a more profitable way around it but if others internet means a 100gb game for example takes 3 days to download then they would be out of gaming

Nova

Yes the 100GB type of games would only be focused on the rich countries in such case. Like say US, Canda, UK and others. But apart from that other countries are going to struggle. And not a lot can be done in such case. In that case indie game developers need to be supported more.

Matt C.

Digital is most certainly the way forward. Consoles won’t be 100% digital any time soon but it’s getting there. I love my physical collection as much as the next guy, but it’s on the way out.

If you think about it, technology has been evolving past physical connections for the past few years; Apple removing the headphone jack, wireless charging, etc.

Digital games are much more profitable for developers and publishers. It completely cuts out the retailer. Also you’ll never lose your games, and it’s much more convenient.

Nova

I think with Stadia, the digital is going way forward and reducing the amount of download specific issues. You can just use the stadia like browser games and that should take care of the rest. I'd say that digital gaming would be lot more controlled and less piracy in future.

TopSilver

I think with Stadia, the digital is going way forward and reducing the amount of download specific issues. You can just use the stadia like browser games and that should take care of the rest. I'd say that digital gaming would be lot more controlled and less piracy in future.

I'm actually quite excited for Stadia. Hopefully this isn't a let down and is actually a good down to earth console with the capability they are claiming it's going to be.

They are also now releasing a new Xbox One S that's all digital and doesn't even have a disc in it. Now that right there is a mistake in my opinion. Mainly because the way I see it you should always at least have the option to use a disc. What if the gamer had a game in his collection that wasn't digital? It's a huge mistake because then your limited to only being able to use digital. This is a huge scheme by Microsoft in my opinion so that more users will buy subscriptions to Gamer Pass and it's a huge mistake. Especially at the price which is going to be close to $250. I got my Xbox One S 2 years ago for only $225 with Gears of War 4 included at Gamestop so this is a huge rip off in comparison. At that price they better not only include the disc input but also a game with it. Freaking rip off.

But yeah Stadia is going to be an interesting move towards the gaming industry franchise. Can't wait.

Nova

I do see your point though. But Google can't be trusted with the digital gaming. And stadia can't be the long term solution in such context. I hope that we find something that can be good digitally and also it can be good for the long term gaming solution.

Alexander.

A all digital gaming platform is a good idea. Many regions do not have a fast broadband so downloading ans updating could be a problem. New technology is often expensive upon initial release too.

A all digital gaming platform is a good idea. Many regions do not have a fast broadband so downloading ans updating could be a problem. New technology is often expensive upon initial release too.

you are contradicting yourself you know that right?

I can see why companies are doing this and I know its a good business decision, but as pointed out above its just not possible enough to reach all their audiences. And if you can't get to everyone then they would be losing money, plus put more burden on people with bandwidth limits as well.

Nova

I think companies are not at all bothered about low income regions and the regions which have the low speed broadband. They want to make money so they are only opening up the digital download to the people who can afford. Same like apple type approach.

Nova

I think if more and more people tend to make use of the modern PCs and the devices. I don't think there would be any physical copies of the game in near future. Most likely people would be spending the money on stadia. And also other similar devices where they get to play on subscription basis.

Well, when I got my Switch, I got my first digital game. The Switch I got came with a digital copy of Super Mario Odyssey. I won't have to worry about loosing the game. Especially if I take the Switch somewhere.

I think Nova has a point. They'll go to all digital on games or you'll just get a subscription only.

Jerlene

If you had asked me this a month or two ago, I would have said physical with no hesitation. But as I'm becoming more organized and putting all of my paperwork on my computer(scanning them, takes FOREVER), I think I would much rather have a digital copy. I think I'd eventually end up uploading the game to my computer anyway. But I'll take either one. Physical copies are nice to have but digital copies are just easier to keep in tact. I may lose my login but I'll never scratch it.

Jayson

Well, one large reason for digital is kids. Kids are horrible with games usually. Now, I'm mostly speaking of younger kids - but some older one too. Well, even some teens and adults are!

O.K., how do you all treat games? Do you protect them enough to "not need digital"? What is your policy about kids? I mean, kids love games - I hate to ban it from them!

Now, myself, I'm not really into gaming enough - to want digital - and I'm not around kids enough lately to justify it either. However, I do make digital downloads sometimes - like with Poser, the 3D art program, I messed with recently.

Nova

I think we are in time where the digital games are going to be a history. And not a lot can be said about the digital games in such context because they are now part of the norm. So one has to see the physical gaming as less chance of future.

Ash

Digital is so much more convenient but I just love to have a physical box and disc for the game that I'm getting. Plus, it allows me to return it if I don't like the game.

Gopnik

I prefer to get digital copies of video games. It's usually cheaper to do so as there are a lot of sales going on - like the Steam Summer sale right now on Steam. Also, if you buy the game but don't like it you can refund it but only if you meet certain requirements (less than 2 hours playtime). You don't need to worry about losing, breaking or scratching the game as it's a digital copy and it doesn't take space in your house neither.

Nova

I think physical copies are on their way out from what I have seen so far. I think digital games are not something you can consider long term either, as cloud may beat those digital downloads too.

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Verified
When it comes to computer games, I'm always swinging the bat for digital only copies becase why not? I've got a ton of hard-drive space so I might as well use it. When it comes to my consoles however, I love the feeling of a physical game, probably because I've grown up playing on consoles and that so it's just a nostalgia thing. I do think in the near future though we'll be going all-discless just because that seems to be the way the world is moving nowadays.

I generally prefer having a physical copy of games, as installing and reinstalling digital copies of games, where I live, can be rather lengthy, as I don't have the best internet connection to install games that require quite a bit of space to install. Though, with the current setup for more modern computers, it is easier to get the physical copes setup to run as a digital copy that you just have to save onto a flash drive or a hard drive that you can sue later if you need to ever reinstall it for whatever reason.

hardy

I'd prefer digitally because I have a family I have to share games with lol
Depending on the console I could re-download the game on the same account on a different console. (Nintendo Switch)

Barida

Digital for me makes everything easier for me and that is one of the ways to save cost. I have had issues of purchasing physical copies in the past that didn't play well and that was really an unhappy experience.

Nova

Ownership of the games is a big thing. Though digital has helped with downloads and quicker access. But the ownership of the content is still a big issue in that context. I'd say people should own completely what they buy.

Jack_Kelly

Hi all,

I'm just conducting a survey for an assessment about Digital and Physical Games and which one you prefer to use.

If so why do you prefer that method?

Regards

Jack

Nova

I think digital games is lot better option considering it does not consume the space anymore. So that's one thing we have to watch out as well.

No and to be more honestly, I don't remember if I ever bought them already. I'll check this later because this is something that I consider a waste of time / money. So, if I did this... I was inexperienced in this world, haha!

Nova

I think with steam and other online markets. You can see that boxed packs are pretty much out of the market. And that tends to make the usage of the box packs redundant. In future there will be no manufacturing of the boxed pack games. Everything will be DLC for sure.

Nova

I think with steam and other online markets. You can see that boxed packs are pretty much out of the market. And that tends to make the usage of the box packs redundant. In future there will be no manufacturing of the boxed pack games. Everything will be DLC for sure.

Anachiwo

Gamers grow and follow the new trend in gaming, it's actually the reason why most people now pick DLC and other kind of games to boxed games. I prefer DLC because it's more updated in both graphics and all.

Nova

I have seen that these days people prefer the DLC and the steam based games. In case of the android, there is pure android download option. So the amount of people in need of the boxed pack games is reducing. I don;t think I'd be buying the boxed game packs in near future. So do you purchase the box packed games these days. Or when was the last purchase for you to buy those games?

leadtech

I'd never buy boxed pack games now .. you are right Steam game packs are more prefer on some players because it can't lose rather than boxes pack .. If the box is destroyed .. The game is destroy too. .

Nova

Let there be cloud gaming and more people moving towards the platforms like stadia. I am sure then the boxed pack games are going to disappear. That's something I have noticed so far.

Nova

I have noticed that people are buying less and less of such games. And it can get pretty difficult to see such games making any sense. I think boxed pack games have lost their demand as of now.

Ash

I don't care for digital copies that much. I like to have a physical box for my game. Plus, if I don't like it, I can always just return it or sell the game instead of being stuck with it.

Ravenfreak

I prefer physical copies honestly. Though if the digital only copies come with extra DLC, I will get the digital version. I like seeing my collection also it doesn't take as long to install physical games compared to digital ones since it just rips them from the disc.

Alexander.

I still have them - but I don't buy these type of amusements anymore! Why? Digital copies cannot be lost or damaged unlike boxed computer games.

Steam all the way for me.

Martin Berisford

Article Author
Verified
For me - and I suppose others nowadays - I'm downloading more and more of my games versus actually going and getting the physical copies of them from the store/Amazon. As a consequence, that means I get less and less of all the fun 'physical' manuals, posters, little additional things that you sometimes get inside game cases. For me, I've kept all of my posters from various games (even if they are just game maps) because they are just a great little memory and now that I think about it, I'm starting to miss things like that.

What about you? Are you a convert to the digital age and have no need for such a prehistoric piece of paper or do you miss the feel of the manuals, posters etc. when getting a new game out of the box?