Did I just fry my PS2?

PGraham

Trophies
Hello, everyone. Did I just fry my PS2?

I currently live and work in South Korea, where the current runs at 220volts. A good friend of mine from the U.S. sent me his "fat" PS2, which as you all probably know, uses 110volts. Just like I've done with other American electronics, like hairdryers, desklamps, etc, I simply put on a simple plug converter on the plug and use them without any issues. Well, without thinking, I did the same thing with the PS2 when I received it, not thinking at the time that an adapter was probably needed.
Did I fry my PS2, or could something just not be working?
If fried, would all internal components, even the hard drive probably be done?

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Paul

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not an electrician.

First of all, congrats on making your first post on JoyFreak!
Now, let's go over it, theoretically:
Something built for 110v will recieve 4 times the power if it's plugged into 220v. That means things tend to get very hot or explode. However, there are some situations where this can be resolved:
  • The appliance has a power supply that's dual-rated (rated for 110 and 220V). A quick Google search for "PS2 power supply" shows that it is rated for 110V and 240V, so you should be OK.
  • If there was any sound plugging it in like a pop or crackle, something might have gone wrong. If you could see or smell smoke, something's definitely gone wrong.
  • The PS2's power supply has a redundant fuse, so if it fried, you'd lose the power supply at the very least.
    • Best case scenario: The power supply takes all the current and dies, but everything else is relatively intact.
    • Worst case scenario: The power supply cannot block all the current and it spreads to every part of the PS2, so you'd lose everything.
It may seem grim, but you could be lucky - keep looking up!

xenonVirus. While I'm not an electrician, common sense would dictate that 4x the power would fry it.

Last edited:
Usually if you hook something that sends out a stronger voltage that the device can handle, then it is good as toast.

You need to use a voltage converter for appliances in other countries. A normal U.S. to UK plug for example, doesn't lower the voltage because it's just meant to be a fitting. This happened to me once, and then the shop assistant found out the fuse was blown because I ran too much power through it, basically. I've got a voltage converter for a NTSC PlayStation...

Thanks for your input! I've got a modded PS2 coming from the UK that has the same voltage setup as in South Korea. I'll keep y'all updated on how it goes with putting in the hard drive. Surely hoping it's all A-Okay.
-Paul

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back