Cyntoia Brown calls out ‘unauthorized’ Netflix documentary about her life

Tek

Trophies
Cyntoia Brown has released a statement distancing herself from the Netflix documentary “Murder to Mercy: The Cyntoia Brown Story,” saying the project was unauthorized.

“While I was still incarcerated, a producer who has old footage of me made a deal with Netflix for an UNAUTHORIZED documentary, set to be released soon,” she explained on Instagram and Twitter. “My husband and I were as surprised as everyone else when we first heard the news because we did not participate in any way.”

She finished by saying, “However, I am currently in the process of sharing my story, in the right way, in full detail, and in a way that depicts and respects the woman I am today. While I pray that this film highlights things wrong in our justice system, I had nothing to do with this documentary.”

However, I am currently in the process of sharing my story, in the right way, in full detail, and in a way that depicts and respects the woman I am today. While I pray that this film highlights things wrong in our justice system, I had nothing to do with this documentary.

On April 29, Netflix will release “Murder to Mercy: The Cyntoia Brown Story.” But not only is the doc repurposed, it was made without her consent while she was still behind bars.

As of Aug. 7, 2019, Brown has been a free woman. But arriving right on time from Netflix and into the streaming wars’ true crime competition, the circumstances around the unauthorized documentary, Murder to Mercy: The Cyntoia Brown Story, give pause.

In 2011, documentary film producer and director Daniel Birman’s film Me Facing Life: Cyntoia’s Story aired on PBS Lens. That documentary contains much of the same story that Murder to Mercy tells, as well as the same footage. That is because Birman, who sold Murder to Mercy to Netflix without Brown Long’s knowledge, repurposed huge swaths of Me Facing Life for the Netflix film. What results is a cut-and-paste job with additional footage of the events leading up to Brown Long’s release in 2019—all while she was still in jail.

Netflix's documentary on the story of Cyntoia Brown Long dropped on the streaming platform this week, but some viewers were left unimpressed.
Although the doc, Murder to Mercy: The Cyntoia Brown Story, appears to be a gripping watch, many viewers are refusing to tune in after Cyntoia revealed she wasn't approached or involved.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back