News Cyberpunk 2077 players advised to "keep a lower amount of items" to avoid permanently corrupting save files

Clout

Trophies
In the latest of a long litany of issues, reports are now coming in that Cyberpunk 2077 save files are becoming permanently corrupted for players if they exceed 8MB in size.

Though initially reported as affecting games across all platforms, some now suggest it's just a PC issue. However, without confirmation from developer CD Projekt Red either way, players have been advised to "keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials".

In a response posted on the GOG website, CDPR has confirmed that once corrupted, there's no way to recover the save, so it recommends you keep "a lower amount of items and crafting materials".

"Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered. Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials," the message said.

The message closes on saying that while save file size limit "might be increased" in a future patch, the "corrupted files will remain that way".

The issues never end do they lol. Is 8MB a lot for a save file?

The issues never end do they lol. Is 8MB a lot for a save file?
the save files are DAT files with .json and a PNG file attached to it. The DAT file is in KBs and so is everything else in that file for your save, since they couldn't just have one file for your save. The files themselves can be found in your "saved games" under CD PROJEKT RED. it's a huge mess if you ask me and shows how the red engine struggles save files in themselves. But If you want to see how botched it looks then here you go, if you ask me though they need to prioritize this issue with the saves over everything else as this is a recipe for major disaster.

Disclaimer:
My save file has around 150 hours on it and i've done pretty much everything ingame, including obtaining a full display rack in my stash and getting all obtainable legendary arms and stuff. So this size of the file won't be the same for everyone.
save-files.png

and under one file "autosave 4" this is what it contains, it's the same layout for all of them.
autosave-4.png

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back