Crash Bandicoot: On the Run!

Clout

Trophies
crash-bandicoot-on-the-run.jpg

Developer / Publisher: King / Activision
Genre: Runner
Platforms: iOS / Android
Release Date: March 25th, 2021 (out now on iOS!)
Price: Free (with in-app purchases)

XFqzq10.png

“Dr. Neo Cortex is stealing power gems to activate portals so his mutagen henchmen can enslave all the dimensions. Coco discovered Dr. Cortex’s plan and is creating portal weapons so Crash can bash the henchmen back to their own dimensions and save the multiverse!”

Crash on the Run is the orange marsupial’s first mobile game in over a decade. Designed to be “the Crashiest Crash game ever”, CotR provides an overdose of fanservice by fusing the runner genre with locales and characters from the entire Crash series.

cY8l94s.png

• Battle Runs - Run through a short stage, dodging obstacles until you can reach the foe at the end. Each main boss requires you to fight four of their henchman before you can take them on, so you’ll have to defeat all manner of minions from Nitro Ants to Lab Assistants. There are over 20 main bosses at launch (not including their Frosty, Inferno, and Oxide variants) and the selection isn’t limited to just mainstays like Cortex and Dingodile. Expect to see some seriously deep cuts, including characters who've never reappeared in a Crash game until now.

• Collection Runs - Run through looping stages based on classic levels from the original Crash trilogy while collecting Wumpa Fruit and crafting materials. Materials are used at Coco’s Base to make weapons, which are required to go on Battle Runs. You can also go on Gem Runs and Challenge Runs to earn extra materials, Colored Gems, and Crystals.

• Time Trials - What would a Crash game be without these? Like always, you have to get through a stage as fast as possible, breaking time crates and using boost pads to dash your way to a Platinum Relic.

• Seasons - Expect to see plenty of additional skins, levels, and bosses as part of future “seasons” in the game. There will be new types of gameplay as well - the devs have confirmed in a Twitter Q&A that they’re already working on both animal riding stages and levels featuring the iconic Crash chase segments.

YPtlCgl.png

Up to 30 people can band together in a team and take part in leaderboard rankings to earn skins, crystals, and other rewards by collecting trophies. Trophies are obtained in several ways, the most prominent of which is Survival Runs. These runs put the “endless” in endless runner and see you racing against bots from other teams. The longer you last, the more trophies you’ll earn for your team. You can also obtain trophies by completing Missions that ask you to collect a certain number of materials or craft specific weapons, as well as by trading in Steps and spare Wumpa Fruit.

eCmrZWO.png

The game is free-to-play, but has a premium currency called Crystals. Crystals are used to speed up crafting timers, refill Collection Runs faster, buy weapons/materials without needing to craft them, and unlock extra crafting slots. However, their most appealing use is to buy skins. Crash and Coco both have a ton of alternate costumes to buy, many of which offer buffs like extra trophies when fighting a boss or bonus materials when going on a Collection Run. In addition, there is a Bandicoot Pass (aka battle pass) with free and paid tiers that lets you earn materials, Crystals, and skins by collecting trophies.

Having played the game for over 60 hours in the beta alone, I don't think you need to spend money to enjoy the game. If you can deal with a few of the typical mobile gimmicks like wait timers and ad-watching, then there’s a lot to enjoy here. The devs have also said that any time-limited skins will be put into the shop rotation a few seasons later to avoid FOMO, with the sole exception being the pre-regegistration exclusive Blue Hyena skin.

yzLdGlx.png

Q: What Crash characters are in the game?

A: Here's a handy list of every character and boss currently in or planned for the game.

Ev0BBBLWQAYH-DC.jpg:large

Q: This challenge is impossible, I can't hit two enemies on either side of me at the same time!

A: Simply swipe down while in the air to do a body slam, which will hit enemies and crates below you as well as those to the side of you! Watch out next to Nitro and TNT though...

I want to know how I missed this in the APP store? Growing up, I was a HUGE fan of Crash Bandicoot, I had all the games and mastered them all. It sounds like and looks like it would be fun to play on mobile so I will definitely be giving it a try if anything for the nostalgia of playing a game from my childhood.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back