Core Defense – a roguelike tower defense game with a dash of deckbuilding

ehmprah

Newcomer
Trophies
store_gif_final.png

Hey everyone! I not only talk about games I also make them and I want to show you peeps my current project!

Core Defense is a roguelike tower defense game with a dash of deckbuilding. Choose a reward, update your build, survive the next wave, repeat. Highly replayable through permadeath, procedural generation and challenging difficulty levels. You'll want just one more wave, just one more run!

It's already available for Win, Mac and Linux on itch.io and is coming to Steam next. Android and iOS versions are also planned! Check it out here:

Itch.io: Core Defense by ehmprah

I'll gladly hear your opinions, feedback or whatever else you might have to say :)

vlcsnap-2020-05-07-10h09m48s560.png

Good news everyone, after four weeks of squeezing in an hour here and there the new patch for Core Defense is finally done! Four weeks are not exactly the patch schedule I’m aiming for, but Corona takes its toll on all of us, so I hope you can excuse the long wait for this new version. Especially because there’s a whole bunch of cool stuff in it.

Most of the changes in this patch are more or less based on community feedback and I’m very thankful to have so many inspired and enthusiastic people on the Discord server who hunt bugs and come up with the coolest ideas for this game! The community was wishing for a manual control tower for example: behold the ION CANNON, which reloads very slowly but fires a massive AOE beam when you do finally activate it:

106_ioncannon2.gif

The new tower is a strong one, which is why I’ve added a new mob as well that counters it: the SPLITTER splits into two parts upon death:

106_splitter.gif

I’ve also tweaked the visuals a bit so the rest of the game can keep up with the hefty new tower:

106_aoe.gif

And this is just the tip of the iceberg – I’ve added new features, did some balancing and fixed several bugs, so without further ado, here are the full patch notes for the new version:

Added

• Added Ion Cannon: manually fire this tower’s massive beam weapon!
  • Added Splitter: this minion splits in two upon death!
  • Added fullscreen toggle to the settings
  • Added option to turn off tips to the settings
  • Added list of all tips to the compendium
  • Added error screen on systems without WebGL2 support
  • Added wall layout to highscore cards
  • The last played overload level is now the default when starting a new game
  • You now get a bonus reward in your next run for the first boss you kill
  • You now get a bonus reward in your next run if you win the run
  • Added icons for all achievements
  • Added try again button at the end of the demo
  • Added Spanish translation (thanks to uperesito, KnightMare_XL & Salburual123)
  • Added Italian translation (thanks to MakinDay, mykys, TyKonKet, godhurIA, Nancy, frankieorabona, ricina)
Changed

• Animations for AOE attacks are now slower and have a new particle effect
  • Removed 4x game speed and increased all previous speeds
  • Reduced mob damage and movement speed increase across all overload levels
  • Reordered overload levels, moving some harder modifiers to later levels
  • Waves now only roll ranged mobs 60% of the time
  • Disruptor Duration: duration upgrade 1s ? 0.5s
  • Executioner Speed: upgrade limit 10 ? 5
  • Hammer: base actions per second 0.25 ? 0.5, base damage 375 ? 175
  • Hammer Damage: upgrade damage 100 ? 50
  • Sniper: base actions per second 0.2 ? 0.3, base damage 200 ? 150
  • Sniper Speed: ugprade stacks 10 ? 5, actions per second 0.03 ? 0.05
  • Sniper Damage: damage 65 ? 40
  • Healer: base actions per second 0.1s ? 0.2s
  • Healer Speed: upgrade stacks 4 ? 3
  • Giant Regenerator: regeneration 5% ? 3%
  • Autoshields: module stacks 1 ? 5, shield amount 1% ? 2%
  • Nanobots: module stacks 3 ? 5, heal amount 1% ? 2%
  • Refine: module stacks 10 ? 5, damage bonus 2% ? 4% (incorrectly displayed 4% before)
  • Quicken: module stacks 10 ? 5, heal amount 1% ? 3% (incorrectly displayed 2% before)
Fixed

• You can now unlock the achievements Eternal, Excellence, Pacifist, Immortal
  • The game no longer generates empty waves
  • The game now properly scales to full screen on Mac
  • Discovered rewards and mobs are now correctly counted in the compendium
  • Freezer range now upgrades properly
  • Damage numbers are now properly rounded

Looks good. I wonder if you are plnaning the android version. Currently it looks like it is mae for mac and PC. Do you have plans for the mobile version?

Looks good. I wonder if you are plnaning the android version. Currently it looks like it is mae for mac and PC. Do you have plans for the mobile version?

Yes! Android and iOS versions are coming after the Steam release, probaly Q4 / 2020.

Good news, everyone! This is the last big patch of the early access phase before the Steam release. There was a lot of work under the hood like Steam achievements and cloud saves, which are in this patch but not yet visible to you until I send out the Steam keys to all itch.io owners – which I’m going to do some time next week, so you can test the Steam version before it’s publicly available.

But there also is a lot you actually can see already, like the new alternative primary colors which you now unlock by beating the game at Overload 5, 10, 15 and 20:

107_colors.gif

Lately the executioner combo was too strong, which is why I’m following up the Executioner nerf of the last patch with a new mob, the DEFIANT, which is immune to all status effects:

107_defiant.gif

I’ve also tuned all boss waves to include additional side mobs which makes boss waves a little harder and more stylish:

107_bosswave.gif

Aaand I’ve become so annoyed at trying to find the right keyboard shortcuts for my abilities that I’ve separated the shortcuts for buildings and abilities; and while I was at it I also made those shortcuts configurable:

Screenshot_from_2020-05-28_19-47.png

That’s not all of course, so here are the full patch notes for this last beta patch:

Added

• Added Chinese (simplified) translation
  • Added Defiant, a mob which is immune to status effects!
  • Added Salvage module, which grants a random upgrade when you skip a reward!
  • Alternate primary colors are now unlocked on beating Overload 5, 10, 15 and 20
  • Keyboard shortcuts are now customizable and separated between towers and abilities
  • Manual control towers can now be fired with the corresponding keyboard shortcut
Changed

• Bigger mobs now have the same movement speed as the small ones
  • Boss waves are now a little bigger and harder
  • You now get one more tower to choose from at the start of a run
  • The fullscreen mode is now toggled with the F11 key
  • In windowed mode there now is a title bar
  • The game now properly saves the windowed state, size and position
  • The achievement Singularity now only unlocks if you have exactly one tower.
  • Repeater tower now gains attack speed for every kill
  • Repeater Damage upgrade limit 15 ? 25, damage 10 ? 7
  • Repeater Speed upgrade removed
  • Sniper tower now deals more damage the farther away the target is, base damage 150 ? 75
  • Sniper Damage upgrade damage 40 ? 20
  • Melter Armor Reduction upgrade limit 5 ? 3, reduction 2 ? 5
  • Repeater Speed upgrade removed
  • Keep cool module rarity uncommon ? common
  • Heal ability range 1.25 ? 1.5
  • Shield ability range 1.25 ? 1.5
  • Disruptor base range 1.5 ? 1.25, status duration 3s ? 1s
  • Disruptor Range range increase 0.2 ? 0.1, stacks 5 ? 15
  • Disruptor Duration upgrade removed
Fixed

• The confirm dialog properly translates “yes” and “no” buttons
  • The achievement Keep ’em coming can now be unlocked
  • Fixed several bugs regarding the rotation interface for the ion cannon
  • Healing in-between waves is now properly added to healing statistic
  • Fixed movement speed calculation for status effects
  • The compendium now shows the correct amount of discoveries

Yes! Android and iOS versions are coming after the Steam release, probaly Q4 / 2020.
That's a good news. All the best to you for the releases. And looking forward to see you guys continue to make new seasons for this game hopefully.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back