Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah depart from BioWare

casey-hudson-mark-darrah-bioware.jpg

Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah have departed from BioWare, EA has confirmed.

EA has also announced that Samantha Ryan will replace Hudson as the head of the studio. Christian Dailey will take control of Dragon Age 4 and Mike Gamble will remain as lead on Mass Effect Legendary Edition and the new Mass Effect game that's recently been announced.

Laura Miele, EA’s Chief Studios Officer, said:
They will always be an important part of the studio’s history, we appreciate their many contributions, and we look forward to seeing what they’ll each do next.

Hudson said, about his departure:
It’s not an easy decision to make, and big changes like this always come with a certain degree of sadness. I will miss being able to work every day with our inspiring developers on the biggest and most exciting projects I can imagine. But I also know that this is a good time for a change, for both myself and BioWare.

It’s profound and humbling to look back on a decades-long career and think about the things we’ve achieved together. It’s hard to make the decision to move on, but I’m excited about what’s next, for all of us

Mark Darrah added:
This has been a very difficult decision for me. The team of amazing developers on Dragon Age, make my life fuller and better. They have taught me so much. But the strength of the team is also what makes this possible. I know that Dragon Age won’t just survive without me, it will thrive.

Christian Dailey is a strong leader and will provide great insight to the rest of the Dragon Age leadership who remain. This is a team that includes people with decades of experience at BioWare. I am confident that, together, this is the team that can make this Dragon Age the best one yet.

Hudson was a long-time BioWare employee who’s worked on titles like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect trilogy. He left the company in 2014 before returning in 2017.

Jeez, probably wasn’t an easy decision at all after being there so long. Hope they are onto bigger and better things.

I don't see it impacting Bioware's development too much, but it is definitely sad when key people leave a team to pursue other interests. If it results in them being happy and working on their own ambitions, then great for them! You just hope it wasn't a decision they made because of inside information about Bioware or their development directions that made them make such a decision. I'm doubtful that was the cause, but departures like these do open up levels of speculation.

I don't see it impacting Bioware's development too much, but it is definitely sad when key people leave a team to pursue other interests. If it results in them being happy and working on their own ambitions, then great for them! You just hope it wasn't a decision they made because of inside information about Bioware or their development directions that made them make such a decision. I'm doubtful that was the cause, but departures like these do open up levels of speculation.

usually you can tell when key people leave a company. Like with Final Fantasy's music after Nobu left.

usually you can tell when key people leave a company. Like with Final Fantasy's music after Nobu left.
Agreed, and Bioware's reputation of late has not been as stellar as it once was...still, here's hoping there's enough talent left in the pool to recover and make the next releases actually good again.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back