Question Can you get better at life with video games?

Ducksfan

Newcomer
Trophies
Playing video games can be great fun, but many people wonder if there’s any benefit to them beyond entertainment value. The answer, surprisingly, maybe yes: Research has shown that playing certain types of video games can help improve vision and reaction time, which can be beneficial in both the workplace and everyday life. So our parents were wrong in video games are bad! Get Better at Life With Video Games

I mean, yes but it depends on what skills you're using in games and in life. There's benefits about games being interactive and requiring thought process rather than TV in which you're just observing, so there is a stimulation factor especially for older people.

With actual skills though... the two big things that games help (that I'm aware of) are hand-eye coordination and situational awareness. Depending on what you're doing in life it's debatable on whether or not those skills are being improved of in a way that benefits you. Me personally I believe they have, but I also work a job that people commonly compare to playing video games and I'm trained on essentially a very specialized video game. I don't think an office worker would benefit the same way I would at their job however.

Yes, absolutely. There’s things gaming can teach you that you can use in real life.

I'm not sure but I definitely wish it to be true. I would argue in favor of it making a person better at life since I spend so much time gaming and wouldn't want to imagine that I'm wasting my time. Of course there is the old quip by John Lennon “The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time” - I tend to agree with that. Also, I've heard that Tetris can improve mind function which may be why I do so poorly at it. :)

Inappropriate advertising / spam
Yes, you are right. Different games can help in different functioning of brain. like racing car games give the new driver an idea how to park and coc can develop team planning.

I think it depends on the game and... on the gamer. While playing video games teaches some useful skills and often patience, I also heard about negative effects on kids.
This one is just exemplary article about that issue (from Utah University) The Video Games Your Child Plays Has an Effect on Their Behavior
I think we should be careful about types of games - some of them are beneficial and some just aren't.

yeah, video games can help, but it depends on the person.

I still remember this old article about this kid who played World of Warcraft, and he saved his sister from an attacking moose by essentially replicating one of the WoW skills or something. ?

I still remember this old article about this kid who played World of Warcraft, and he saved his sister from an attacking moose by essentially replicating one of the WoW skills or something. ?
Whaaat? I haven't heard of this one :p but I do remember some stories about kids playing with guns 'just like in games' and hurting their siblings

Whaaat? I haven't heard of this one :p but I do remember some stories about kids playing with guns 'just like in games' and hurting their siblings
well in this case, the boy saved his sister.
this happened in 2007 and this was what I could dig up.

and then this was the kid when he grew up. ?

Like some others are saying, I'm honestly not sure - but it's fun to hope you can lol. In some cases, I guess gaining knowledge about PCs and graphics settings can be a big plus. Anyway, I think it can help in some circumstances for sure, but I'm not sure regular old gameplay has much effect on getting better at life.

Like some others are saying, I'm honestly not sure - but it's fun to hope you can lol. In some cases, I guess gaining knowledge about PCs and graphics settings can be a big plus. Anyway, I think it can help in some circumstances for sure, but I'm not sure regular old gameplay has much effect on getting better at life.
True, but it can inspire "IRL" actions and if you take action in real life, then you can gain a worthwhile skill...

The only skill I can see that improves IRL without practice is reaction speed maybe, if you play fast-paced games. ??

IF you are able to balance the time for games and real life then I would say "Yes"

I think playing games is useful and helps you get better at things in life.

I still remember that old article about the kid who played World of Warcraft and saved his sister from an attacking moose by essentially replicating one of the WoW skills.

I am a firm believer that you can learn a lot in life using video games. Video games tend to give you a lot of reason to think ahead, plan ahead and think about your next steps before actually taking any action and those kinds of skills used in a video game can be very useful in life.

You can also learn a lot in video games as well that may not only help in life but could help in learning as well.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back