Bethesda games to be "first or better" on Xbox, says Microsoft

bethesda-xbox.jpg

Bethesda's games are planned to be "first or better" on Xbox, Microsoft has declared.

The statement comes from Xbox CFO Tim Stuart, who spoke at the Jeffries Interactive Entertainment Virtual Conference last week (via SeekingAlpha).

Stuart said:
What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise. But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as — on our platforms.

Stuart also explained how philosophy would tie into Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Stuart continued:
If you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that’s what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.

After the acquisition announced back in September, Microsoft has yet to comment on how Bethesda’s games will be offered in the future. They could be exclusive Xbox title's or offer more content on Xbox Game Pass. However, as first-party titles, they’ll likely be offered on Game Pass in any instance.

Personally I think they should be exclusive. It would really move consoles if Skyrim and Fallout were exclusive to Xbox.

I think it'll work out this way for the first couple of years on the Series X / PS5 generation of consoles, but MS has done a lot of work to move away from exclusives, so while I fully expect them to keep Bethesda titles as "first on" games for this generation at least, I think MS made this move with their publishing brains on, rather than their console selling brains. Push titles on as many platforms as possible, get money for them from everyone. Sensible business practice.

Makes sense. Considering how much they paid, they weren't going to be nice and share it with Sony and Nintendo

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back