Best ways to save money?

What are some ways to reduce gaming cost? Playing computer games can come with a huge price tag and I'm looking for advice on how to save some extra cash. Thank you!

Barida

I don't spend money buying any in-game items as I spend on my skills to pass through some missions. This is something that I always look at when I am trying to get things done. If it is a situation where videos can be watched, I always make use of such opportunity as well instead of spending.

Nova

I think best option to save money would be doing the game shopping when there are bundles of games and the festival discount. Those days are lot better as the price of the game is reduced at that time. And you tend to save more on multiple games.

Gopnik

Purchase video games when they are on sale. For example, if you are playing on a PC don't purchase anything before the Steam sales. Also, don't buy the DLC as most of the time it costs more than the game itself alone. You can check also websites like Kinguin, G2A, etc. But they are grey area so it's not always sure that what you buy will work. There are ways to pay absolutely nothing for video games but it's illegal in most countries.

Nova

These days many game developers are promoting their games and offer discounts on stores like humble bundle. And it helps to save money if you purchase the games during this time. I have some level of success with some games on that.

For PC just look out for Steam sales, they are deadly for wallets.

For consoles, shop clearance sections at stores or keep an eye on ebay for a good deal at an auction type sale.

Nerdface

There's a couple of ways I try and cut costs with my PS4 gaming..
  1. Wait for sales on the PSN Store. You can almost guarantee that a game you want will be discounted eventually, and they're often cheaper than buying physical.
  2. Buy store credit from places such as CDKeys.com or Electronic First. You can often make quite a saving of around £5-£8 on higher value cards.

marteebe

For me, I always try and cut costs where I can with respect to gaming. I've got no worries waiting ages for the latest blockbuster game to go down in price or even picking it up used at CEX (Used game/DVD store). I did that with RDR2 and I didn't feel like I missed out at all really. The only games I ever buy new are ones that I know I really, really want to have and play. If it's PC based games, I always head to places like CDKeys to try and pick them up for cheaper, why wouldn't you?

Ash

Buy what you need and don't go experimenting with games (unless you can return them and get your money back). And when you do want to get a game, make sure you wait a bit until you get a good discount. That's the only real way to save money for gaming

Reactions: marteebe

Malcolm

I have to agree. I checked and compared some of the prices on the CDKeys. And it seems like the place has some good options. Though it won't be big savings. But much smaller and effective game media savings or say discounts.
Hmm interesting I’m going to try those sites out! Thanks for sharing