Asus ROG Zephyrus GM501GS or Asus ROG Strix Scar GL504GW?

MileyBoom

Newcomer
Trophies
Hi!
Next month I'm planning to buy a brand new gaming laptop (for my first time lol) and I'm in a huge dilema between two computers.

One of them is -
"Asus ROG Zephyrus GM501GS" with -
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor,
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphic Card,
a memory up to 16GB DDR4
1TB Hard Disk

and 512GB SSD Drive.
(costs about 2,184$ in my country)

and the other one is -
"Asus ROG Strix Scar GL504GW" with -
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6 Graphic Card,
a memory up to 32GB DDR4
1TB Hard Disk

and 512GB SSD Drive
(costs about 2,831$ in my country)

Now, which one would you choose if you were in my situation?
Does the ROG Strix Scar worth it's money?
My main usage on this laptop would be studying and gaming (GTA series, Forza 4, Far Cry 4, NFS series and etc)
Thanks in advance!

I agree with Ashish - the RTX has better performance, but if you don't need to spend $700 extra, go for the GTX 1070 - it'll still give you a very high FPS on most games.
From UserBenchmark, here is the 1070's FPS on nine different games:
  • CS:GO - 198 fps
  • Fortnite - 122 fps
  • PUBG - 80 fps
  • GTA V - 78 fps
  • League of Legends - 211 fps
  • Overwatch - 115 fps
  • BF1 - 95 fps
  • Minecraft - 222 fps
  • The Witcher 3 - 81.9 fps
(All fps measured at 1080p ultra settings)

EDIT: It all depends on what FPS you want, though. If you want higher FPS and don't mind shelling out 700 bucks, go for the RTX 2070. Otherwise, stick with the 1070 - you'll still get great FPS on almost all games out there, with Ultra settings.

xenonVirus. I know some things about technology. Totally didn't look the GPU stats on PCMark.

Last edited:
I'll pick the second option the reason being the ability to add more RAM is definitely appreciated but rest of the stuff looks kind of same for both.

I think ram has a effect but not so because I've already experience if you have 4 Ghz and at least 4Gb VRAM GTX OR RTX it will perform better but in terms of ram it will slightly increase the performance. Nova

I don't have a high end specs laptop its a medium one but the performance is good what I wanted to say that If u install your games on SSD storage u can't believe the performance it will give. As there are many factors it depends upon.

Asus ROG Zephyrus M with
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor
16GB Memory
1TB Hard disc with 256GB SSD
Nvidia Gefore GTX 1060 with 6GB DDR5
for 2000$

What are your thoughts about this laptop?
does it worth it's price?
is it good for gaming in 2019?

I think it would be a great gaming laptop. 6 gigs of DDR5 VRAM is enough for most, if not all games to run 60fps on HIgh or Ultra settings. The i7 is no slouch either.

xenonVirus. Of course, I had a Ryzen 3, so I'm not exactly the best source.

Last edited:
You got yourself a power house there for sure (must be nice to drop 2k on a gaming device :p )

I would look at different shopping sites and check reviews for anyone who may complain about any common hardware issues though.

Yeah at this current point, this configuration is more than enough. I mean it can play most of the modern games. More RAM is better though.

Depends on your motherboard. There are many motherboards that support Ryzen and 32 GB. Windows 10 can take upto 32GB from what I have heard.

Depends on your motherboard. There are many motherboards that support Ryzen and 32 GB. Windows 10 can take upto 32GB from what I have heard.

Must be for people who really want to get the most out of their games.

Yes plus those who run the Virtual machine software and kubernetes, they tend to need more than 32GB based server OS. Those machines can be good for the gaming too.

I am always hesitant with gaming laptops like this. The reason being is that the support that the manufacturers provide is usually garbage. On top of that from what I've seen from the outside from friends owning gaming laptops, they have a tendency of breaking shortly after the warranty is up. I am not saying don't get it, because those specs are pretty good, I am saying be cautious about the brand and make sure you do your research.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back