Question Are you a religious person or not?

Tek

Trophies
So today I was hanging out with some new school friends and then the religion topic came up. I was asked if I was religious, now all my close friends know the answer to this question, and considering it's not social etiquette to ask this kind of question, it caught me off guard. I responded, "I think so".

Afterwards, I felt unhappy about how I handled the situation, after some thorough reflection, I now have a more appropriate answer if anyone ever asks me again. I believe religion is a totally relative/subjective matter, therefore it's not right to quantify an individual based on their religious beliefs.

How have all of you handled this type of question? Do you answer straight away or do you find it's a personal matter?

I answer honestly. I am a horrible example of what a Christian ought to be, but I'd be so much worse if not for Christ.

I remember once a trans woman from a former job outed themselves to me while I was taking them home. I was already aware they were biologically a male, but that's not important. What is important is they told me and then asked me if I hated them now. I told them the truth.

That if the were looking for me to tell them everything was cool and there was nothing wrong with what they were doing and how they were living, if they wanted me to tell them there was no sin there, I could not do that. But, I also assured them that unlike most professing Christians, I was also not going to judge her anymore harshly than any other sinner, including myself, and that we are all sinners.

She seemed satisfied with that answer.

Last edited:
Religion is one of the hardest thing for me especially after I realised I'm a non-believer anymore. When I used to go through hard times I'd always pray and hope god would work everything out. Then when I went through a hard time a a non-believer I didn't know how to process it as I did then. I instantly thought about how I used to process it and then realised that I don't believe in that anymore. It was really sad and I didn't know what else to do. I always believed in a god but now I just get by.

I'm a content atheist, raised to embrace logic and science by a mother who was religious but gave her children the chance to think and choose for themselves. I never found logic in religion, and so embraced reason, logic and science. I don't hate religion, I don't try to persuade people away from it, and I don't reject someone when they tell me they're a practicing and devout member of any faith. I also don't engage in debates about religion, why I believe in what I believe, etc. I think religion is and should be something personal to each person, if that's a route they choose to follow.

I'm a content atheist, raised to embrace logic and science by a mother who was religious but gave her children the chance to think and choose for themselves. I never found logic in religion, and so embraced reason, logic and science. I don't hate religion, I don't try to persuade people away from it, and I don't reject someone when they tell me they're a practicing and devout member of any faith. I also don't engage in debates about religion, why I believe in what I believe, etc. I think religion is and should be something personal to each person, if that's a route they choose to follow.
Neither is anymore logical than the other, they both start with a presupposition. That's the inescapable truth.

I just tell people I'm not really into it, though like mention in the first post, it's not something proper to bring up.

I'm an atheist, but I don't reject religion, and if someone tells me they're religious, I will understand and appreciate their religion for what it is.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back