Are gaming forums dying?

Tommy Walls

Jun 15, 2019
I think I will always prefer forums. Not that many of them are active any more, besides GameFAQs and GameSpot. But as I covered before, they are both ass.

😌

Tommy Walls

Jun 15, 2019
The users, mostly. I didn't think much of them.

They're very rude, sarcastic, and snide.

I should know. Taking about Resident Evil on there got me nowhere. If you say anything "bad" or honest or whatever, they blatantly flame people, as if you're not supposed to be doing that.

Lifespot

Jan 10, 2019
Nah not really. You can have multiple channels in a server and just talk about a topic anyways.
Yes you can but accessing previous information is an absolute nightmare.

This is where forums are stronger.

For instantaneous chat, sure discord is the place. Round pegs in square holes comes to mind.

Tommy Walls

Jun 15, 2019
Well, I couldn't join ResetEra because you need to sign up using a more professional email address. I can still view threads as a guest, which is about all I want anyway. Not sure how picky they are either, to be honest. Some of those forums are not keen on your openness to talk about gaming, especially if you appear to be bashing a company they may be "sucking up" to.

But I would say a company that steals people's work, to the point where they demand to be compensated for around 18 million, needs to be criticised.

Besides, I already told people ages ago that Capcom is notorious for copying things. So that news didn't come as a surprise, really. :D

RamiMorrar

Jan 15, 2020
I will say this. As an Indie Dev I've seen people have more success with promoting their game on forums than I have anywhere else.

Large servers are super anal about promoting your own stuff which is really annoying and gatekeepish

RamiMorrar

Jan 15, 2020
Actually not even just indie games, but also content creation in general. Plus the fact that you can't really have your own thread to talk about your own game is also a pain since everything gets dumped into one channel.

Last edited: