Are arcades still relevant?

I think arcades are making a comeback on some consoles and also on the mobile games. Some are making the remakes of those games and they are still around in a different way or the other.

There was this arcade-like game for Nintendo (I think that was the system. It was from the 90s) and it was so much fun! I forgot the name, but basically it was just "all shooting", "blowing things up".

Anyway, despite this, I find games like Asteroids boring. I guess it depends on the arcade game!

Doesn't seem to be that popular over here in the UK either but honestly, I would love to go to one with friends and play some games.

I assume that in near future, it's chance that arcades may shift to the Google stadia. So it's better for the game developers to keep an eye on what is selling and what may work long term and then focus on those sort of games.

Well, comically, Wal-Mart (an American chain store) is selling miniature arcade machines for around $300 each I think. Who has seen them? Anyway, the games on it are simply old-school ones from the 80s - but that's not saying many won't find them fun.
I'm sure you can possibly mods those and put emulators on those, I have friends who have done that.

In regards to arcades, I still find them relatively relevant still, it just can't survive on it's own anymore. More and more, in my area at least, local owned arcades are becoming more and more rare in favor of corporate arcades like Dave and Busters and Round1. We have a couple new "arcade bars" popping up that are increasing in popularity, and I for one applaud that. If an arcade offered a food and bar option, I'm more inclined to go there, and I believe that's why Dave and Busters and Round1 do so well.

A trend I've been noticing in malls, is arcades that are strictly console based and is nothing but 15-20 TVs that have PS4s, Switches, Xbox Ones, even Super Nintendos and NES' and it's attracting people in their mid twenties.

Who knows in near future we may get the VR based tech which makes use of the arcade games. And that may even sell better for the long run. I guess that may surely happen as well.

Who knows in near future we may get the VR based tech which makes use of the arcade games. And that may even sell better for the long run. I guess that may surely happen as well.
There is already an arcade game for VR!
Sega Akihabara Building No.3 6F is the most popular among foreigners.ww

There is already an arcade game for VR!
Sega Akihabara Building No.3 6F is the most popular among foreigners.ww
Haha, I actually do remember making a stop here when I visited Japan! Was an amazing arcade place! To be fair, any arcade I went into in Japan was generally quite amazing. I remember in one, I had an employee add on a few extra goes for us on the machine when we were very close to winning a figurine of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Was just a really nice and enjoyable interaction. I also went on a VR coaster in Universal World in Osaka. That was the best ride I've ever been on!

IMG_20190519_190538.jpg

I don't think the price tag of the 300 dollars or more is worth it. I mean those who can afford surely may want to buy it. But overall I don't see logical to spend that much money. But some gamers can afford owning some of those type of the rigs and they may buy it for nostalgia for sure.

My personal approach is installing the DOSBOX and then install those arcade games. That seems to be the way it worked out for most of the arcade. Here's one of the game that I recently played with DOSBOX.

oh that is awesome! Never knew about that but will be looking into it. :)

While I don't know if I'd call them 'relevant' these days, I think arcades and arcade games do have charm as a sort of nostalgia factor. A favorite memory of mine involving two of my best friends from high school was going to the Jersey shore boardwalk for our collective birthdays and spending most of the day at the arcade. I also still see arcade games at movie theaters and even see one in my favorite tavern. I grew up with a pinball machine in my grandparents' home, so that may be why I consider them so special and am thankful the games still have their places in the community, but I love arcade games, and there's a big difference playing a simulated version on a console than playing on the actual machine.

Oh yeah. They ha e a very strong noatalgia appeal which pushes them into relevance imo like Dave and Busters.

I think RPG and other platformers gamers are more into the arcade old style. I think the case with the arcade games is that they can be a good in near future if it has the proper graphics and also community demands are met.

There are also still some local retro style arcades so maybe they haven't slipped into irrelevance quite yet.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back