Are arcades still relevant?

Jerlene

Newcomer
Trophies
Are arcades still relevant these days? Everyone is so concerned about getting the latest Playstation or Xbox. No one really says they have to go check out the new arcade down the road anymore. Do you think arcades still play an important role in the gaming community?
I LOVE arcades but they seem to be more of a novelty type of pass time than anything else. I associate it with something like Dave and Busters. But I would take an arcade over an Xbox any day.

In your society, are Arcades successful and well liked? Roughly, what's the most you've ever spent in an Arcade? What's your view on this type of gaming? Personally, I think it can encourage Gambling if your not careful and when your Gambling the prices are very costly for the games that you are renting out.

In past they used to be favorite. And there were many gamers who used to play. But now that generation is not much active in gaming. And new generation does not like those arcade and the 2D style games as much. And so the world now a days moving towards the 3D type of the games where they have more options and better game experience. Arcade days are not more for sure.

There was a time when I used to play a lot of Arcade games, however, the days of playing arcade games are over. These days, I like playing RPG.

Oh, yeah!

Though old-fashioned, arcades games are still very popular (and not just among kids, because adults also still like it a lot). Particularly speaking, I think they have a timeless atmosphere and quality... Not to mention the fact that to this day they serve as inspiration for many other games.

I used to play in arcade before and I have good memories with it. My friends and I used to play Mortal Kombat, Dance Revolution and some rabbits who wants to get carrots. I forgot the name of the game ( Ha.Ha.Ha. ) it was expensive since there are only few arcades built in our area during my younger days. Arcades these days are more cheaper and there are still kids who enjoyed these type of games.

I used to play arcade before back when I was in college. I do it with my friends. We love racing! I hate it when they defeat me! :LOL:

I don't remember how much I've spent but all I know is that I can sit there for 3 hours straight just playing the game.

There are a few malls in my area that have arcades and they are always packed until closing time. It is weird, it is not only kids and teenagers who are there, adults and elderly people also flock the games where you sit on a long rectangular table and you shoot the fishes on the table (the whole table is an LCD) and the prizes are tokens and they stay for hours on there. There are around 3 or 4 of those games in the arcades and it is always packed and you need to wait a long time if you want to play since the players would bring hundreds of tokens with them and stay until they have none or they tire out. When I was a teenager there were mostly families, kids and teens who played and stayed there. I think those games that I am talking about are like a substitute for going to bingo halls for the elderly.

Pac Man is my best favorite game on the arcade game. I love to play this game it is so exciting and the other games i played on the arcade are some Pinball

Arcade games are still popular here in our place. This type of game is for all ages which makes them very popular for family bonding. It is a great way to have fun with your love ones. This type of game of also exciting compared to playing in solitary.

There was a time when I used to play a lot of Arcade games, however, the days of playing arcade games are over. These days, I like playing RPG.
Yes RPG seems to be standing test of time. Arcade games were fun due to the way they were made like the time when they were being published on the big boxes. That time is gone. And we don't have that luxury any more. And so we are now moving towards the PC and console games. So that kind of shows the gaming progress.

Yes RPG seems to be standing test of time. Arcade games were fun due to the way they were made like the time when they were being published on the big boxes. That time is gone. And we don't have that luxury any more. And so we are now moving towards the PC and console games. So that kind of shows the gaming progress.
Arcade games are very interesting in the beginning, however, after some time it will be boring. You will no longer enjoy the game as you begin to feel the monotony. This happens with very Arcade game.

This thread made me want to revist my old browser arcade games. Boy, they were fun!

Yes they sound boring because now a days we have lot better gameplay. And things have lot much improved. So that's why people tend to not get interested in arcade type of the games. You can see that it can be pretty difficult to find new kids having interest in the arcade games.

It seems so nostalgic and vintage that it's comical. I mean, where do we hear about it - Wayne's World (the movie)? :D Anyway, it seems silly that kids would pump so much money (coins etc..) into stuff that is practically free now (ratio-wise). O.K. who remembers the scene on Wayne's World where Noah Vanderhoff (the pompous gaming millionaire) makes fun of it?

Now, here is something cool. Now there are mini-arcade games being sold. The price is around $300 in the US - and they can be found at Wal-Mart. Anyone know of other places?

My personal approach is installing the DOSBOX and then install those arcade games. That seems to be the way it worked out for most of the arcade. Here's one of the game that I recently played with DOSBOX.

Wow! That's pretty a whole lot of money to pump into the a game. I play the claw machines and Mortal Kombat 2 for free back then. I have really missed the game that I somehow wish it is still free at the moment.

Well hey, all I can say is go to Japan and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of arcades that are around the place. When I was in Tokyo last summer, arcades were everywhere and almost always packed to the hilt with people doing a combination of grabbing machines to shooting games to games which look far more involved than I cared to dip my Western hands in haha. There was a particular floor in one of them where there was a whole floor of Japanese people furiously playing some space looking game. It was actually awesome to see this happening in real life in 2018 as I thought everyone was online!

Here in the states, it seems like a dead thing outside of any hotels or kid places, which is a shame because I would love owning one.

Well, comically, Wal-Mart (an American chain store) is selling miniature arcade machines for around $300 each I think. Who has seen them? Anyway, the games on it are simply old-school ones from the 80s - but that's not saying many won't find them fun.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back