News An open letter after Wonder Woman 84 rollout

XXX

Trophies
EpO904dUYAAdzHT

I was very outspoken on Twitter upon learning that the Wonder Woman 1984 embargo would be lifting on December 15. Why? Because once again, the studio decided to screen their film for select press–including those press members participating in press junkets and receiving swag for doing so. In choosing who got to see the film first, the studio could afford to be very selective in choosing which critics saw the film first. A lot of marginalized film press didn’t get to see the film before the embargo lifted. Some were sent during the second wave of press screeners. Those viewing in the second wave were able to see the film during the weekend before release. The rest of us? We had to wait until December 22–the Tuesday before the domestic launch.

My initial Twitter thread:

Full transparency: this transgender film critic has not been offered a screener for #WonderWoman1984 #WW84. When we talk about the push for underrepresented film criticism, things like this is what I look for. Things like this make me want to quit writing about film.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back