Question Am I the only one who no longer buys games on release?

MicroNort

Trophies
I can't actually remember the last time I bought a game on release, probably when I bought the PS4 and Killzone. I'm now quite happy to buy games months after release. I'd like to get to a point where I buy games at the point I'm ready to play them, but I've not got there yet (have a small backlog). Always been interested in Borderlands 3 and just bought it today for £10.

Am I alone in cost effective gaming?

I wait for price drops if it’s a game I’m not terribly excited for or if money is tight. Otherwise, I buy on day 1 most of the time.

There is certainly merit to waiting, though. I wish I had the patience.

Typically I'll wait. I tend to use only Steam for games with the occasional purchase on Origin. I have a PS4 but it's been boxed up for 2 years. Games on Steam or often put on sale at some point. The current Steam Summer Sale has some bargains.

I don't buy a game upon release unless it hits the store with a sale. Even then, I tend to wait on it for a week or two while I read the reviews to see if it would interest me. Personally, there's nothing worse than buying a game on the first day and finding out that I don't like it.

Typically I'll wait. I tend to use only Steam for games with the occasional purchase on Origin. I have a PS4 but it's been boxed up for 2 years. Games on Steam or often put on sale at some point. The current Steam Summer Sale has some bargains.
Do you not buy keys elsewhere (CD Keys or Gamivo)? You can normally find Steam keys cheaper elsewhere, even when they are on sale at Steam.

Nope, definitely the same except for the odd exception like Red Dead 2. I know most games will drop in price in 6 months, if not quicker. Plus I already have a backlog of games so there's nothing even close to a rush to buy a new game usually.

If you can avoid (literally) buying into hype and needed every shiny new game which comes out, you can game for a quarter of the price you'd normally pay, maybe even less. It's not uncommon for me to buy games older than 5 years like X-Com.

In the past I have brought games when they get released, but not often. I definitely do not want to spend like £40 for a full game and then not to play it that often. I have over 150 steam games and I always stick with the same old same.

I also buy games that are cheap as I can get it, NOt just the sale but looking at third party sites and get a good deal :)

I generally buy older release that have been reduced or second hand as I'm a collector but if I think I'm going to sink a massive amount of hours into it or it's something story driven I really want to play 8d.onsider getting it on release but that's not very often

I used to be one who buys games on release just to be the very first few who has the game before others spoil it for me but since I've grown up, I find it doesn't matter anymore especially if I'm looking to save up. I now just wait for it to go on sale.

The last game I bought on launch was Half-life Alyx but before that I cannot remember, on PC games go on sale so often and my backlog is so big at this point I just dont see the point of buying games new most of the time.

It depends on the game really. If I like the game, I will get it at launch because the price doesn't matter that much to me. If I'm unsure of it, I will wait a bit and see what the gameplay is like from videos

Do you not buy keys elsewhere (CD Keys or Gamivo)? You can normally find Steam keys cheaper elsewhere, even when they are on sale at Steam.
I’m subscribed to humble bundle. I get a lot of lesser known / indie games from there. I’d rather buy direct from Steam. Saving a few bucks isn’t really that important.

I’m subscribed to humble bundle. I get a lot of lesser known / indie games from there. I’d rather buy direct from Steam. Saving a few bucks isn’t really that important.

there are some pretty killer deals off steam that still give steam keys if one does care about saving a few buck just use isthereanydeal.com or their Augmented Steam add-on if you browse steam on the web

Thanks for those links. I tend to but direct off Steam rather then via browser but I'll take a look and see if it makes any difference to pricing.

Back when the PS4 was new I was really excited about it, enjoying it a lot, so whenever the trickle of new games came out I'd snatch them up immediately. Since about 2016 or so though, once the library was well established, whenever I browse the PSN Store there's a ridiculous amount of games. So I just wait. I didn't even play Uncharted 4 until three years after it released, for example, and it was my favorite game this gen.

I also have PS+ which gives out some pretty long and stellar games sometimes. And then there's my ridiculous Steam backlog.

I don't generally buy games on release now a days, unless it's one that I've been waiting for and hoping it would even be made. The last game I bought at release was Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but I don't foresee buying any others on release. At least none that are coming out soon.

It's very rare for me. Like the above poster, I also bought Animal Crossing to play with my girlfriend but wouldn't have otherwise. Nintendo hardly puts their AAA games on sale anyways.

These days it seems like you hardly even have to wait a month before a game goes on sale, like in the case of Resident Evil 3 Remake. If it is a PC game, I can pretty much guarantee you I'll not purchase it at launch price.

I'll get one or two a year, just to really support the game makers, but most I'll wait for a sale or good deal on ebay.

I am in a same boat. I mostly prefer the game bundles and the games which are on discount. So humble bundle discounts and the steam discounts are something I am always after. And for me it does work out that way. Considering new games are harder to find for discount. So I prefer to not buy during release.

Heads up steam is on sale and I see so many new ages that are on sale also, good time to get your hands on them LOL

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back