5 Reasons Why Games Are Good For You

games_addict

Newcomer
Trophies
It is just one of those random thoughts that hit me from time to time. I was wondering what are the actual damages that games can cause to us. I've been looking it up and found out that it's not as bad as it seems to be. In some articles, they even mentioned how good it could be for us to play games (like this one 5 Reasons Why Games Are Good For You and also another article I found on ign but I could not find the link again later on sorryyyy?). I am honestly just looking for reasons to convince my mom that it's all good and there is nothing to worry about XD.

1/ Games makes you socially active
2/ Games can improve vision
3/ Games can be a source of income
4/ Games as a treatment for mental illnesses

5/ Games help kids grow up

I can account to that, used to that your parents would tell you "Video games" rotten your brain, and now it's changing ways either by voluntarily or by force due to the pandemic. Of course the screens we played on back then weren't the greatest for our eyes anyway compared to today. So I'm sure there are a lot of factors relating to this topic.

1/ Games makes you socially active
2/ Games can improve vision
3/ Games can be a source of income
4/ Games as a treatment for mental illnesses

5/ Games help kids grow up
1) Voice-chat in video games may indeed be considered socializing, but it's less genuine and profound than RL friendship
2) Can you share a link with a study showing that starring at screens improve vision? edit: in the article it talks about the difference in the way gamers discern contrast vs non-gamers, but that may be a small benefit compared to the damage blue screens can do to the eyes on the long-term (for example this study on rats showing that for an exposition to unprotected LED screen during 3 months, a 23% retinal cell death occurred).
3) The portion of gamers that make enough money to survive as primary incoming source is probably very slim
4) I doubt video games "treat" mental illnesses, for sure it's an escapism that can help temporarily to attenuate the symptoms of mental illness (like the feeling of depression or anxiety)
5) How do they help kids to grow up better than real-life? In the article it mentions learning to "fight for the good" and empathy, but I really doubt those two can be instilled during video game sessions. If anything video games hinder the development of empathy and compassion. (and I don't know what they mean with "fight for the good".

I consider video games to be "positive" in some ways (as a way to externalize violence, socializing via voice chat, technological innovations, reinforced interconnectedness, etc.).

Last edited:
Not many know about the researcher named Brian Sutton-Smith that was the first person to see games as a resource for development. The scientist investigated the psychological aspects of playing games throughout his entire life. He even became pretty famous in the middle of the 20th century for studying how entertainment affects children and adults.

Gaming is really a workout for your mind too. Studies have shown that playing video games regularly may increase gray matter in the brain and boost brain connectivity.

As to #4, my best friend had family issues early in life and found an escape in games. He was by no means antisocial or unpopular - we had a large circle of friends, partied all of the time, always dating, etc, but he was good at hiding his depression that few - including myself - knew about.

During his alone time he played a lot of games and it helped him overcome that depression. He's a perfectly adjusted family man now. Still plays game, just not nearly as often.

Games can be a source of income # I do made some cash for selling in-game items and gold in Path of Exile

Games are also a good stress-reliever. Whenever I find myself stressed, a good game of Rocket League helps calm me down.

It does seem to keep people aware, my one grandma plays them and the other didn't, once reaching the same age for both, the one that didn't play it seem a lot more lost.

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back