News 30-year-old Texan man dies in hospital after attending COVID-19 party

Tek

Trophies
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – A doctor from Methodist Hospital in San Antonio said a young man died after attending a Covid-19 party, according to ABC affiliate KSAT.

“One of the things that was heart wrenching that he said to his nurse was, you know, I think I made a mistake. And this young man went to a Covid party,” said Dr. Jane Appleby, Chief Medical Officer at Methodist Hospital.
Appleby said the man who died was 30 years old.

“He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and he was invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease,” Dr. Appleby said.

Appleby said lately she has been hearing about Covid-19 parties.
“Someone will be diagnosed with the disease and they’ll have a party to invite their friends over to see if they can beat the disease,” Dr. Appleby said.

She said some young patients don’t realize how sick they really are.

“People will come in initially and they don’t look so bad. They don’t look really sick, but when you check their oxygen levels and you check their lab tests, they’re really sicker than they appear on the surface,” Appleby said.
Appleby said if you are not feeling well, have a high fever, cough and severe muscle aches, you should get help.

“My plea to our community and especially all of our young folks in the community is to take it seriously. Wear your mask,” Appleby said.

I hope other people learn from this young man's mistakes.

A lot of people in the UK have caught it too. Some have had only mild symptoms. But 1 in every 5 can suffer from respiratory failure.

I don't know that it's so crazy, the death rate is well below 1% as I understand it, and even smaller for people under 50. It makes some measure of sense to try and catch it and get it over with to get the antibodies and start building up the heard immunity.

Much like people used to have chicken pox parties back in the day, because it way better to get it as a child than to get it later in life and for most if us, once we've had it, we won't catch it again. (at least with Chicken Pox, who knows with Covid? I'm sick of people pretending like they know much when it's a NOVEL virus that we've know about less than a year, meaning we don't really know anything)

Anyone can get it at any point in time. The Texan guy isn't the only guy to lose his life and also America is getting worse and even more cases each day by day and others there I'm expecting just about more to get it. Damn it's bad

But WTF that doctor needs to be like, what a damn nutcase.

I don't know that it's so crazy, the death rate is well below 1% as I understand it, and even smaller for people under 50. It makes some measure of sense to try and catch it and get it over with to get the antibodies and start building up the heard immunity.

Much like people used to have chicken pox parties back in the day, because it way better to get it as a child than to get it later in life and for most if us, once we've had it, we won't catch it again. (at least with Chicken Pox, who knows with Covid? I'm sick of people pretending like they know much when it's a NOVEL virus that we've know about less than a year, meaning we don't really know anything)
It doesn't make sense to try and get it when there is a possibility you will never catch it if you are careful. Putting aside that it might not kill you, deliberately catching it is a very selfish action as you are likely to spread it onto someone else who didn't want to catch it.

It doesn't make sense to try and get it when there is a possibility you will never catch it if you are careful. Putting aside that it might not kill you, deliberately catching it is a very selfish action as you are likely to spread it onto someone else who didn't want to catch it.
IF you believe all the hype. I don't. I'm not fully in the it's totally made up hoax camp. But I think it's being blown out of proportion and I think the government is taking the opportunity to use it for some social experimentation.

IF you believe all the hype. I don't. I'm not fully in the it's totally made up hoax camp. But I think it's being blown out of proportion and I think the government is taking the opportunity to use it for some social experimentation.
So you think all governments around the world are playing along? Thinking that this is blown out of proportion is what got us into this kind of predicament in the first place. It is not hype, the death and infection rates are stats that back up the situation.

Believe what you will. It matters not to me. I will not cower in fear simply because I'm told to.

I work in preventive medicine and it is beyond infuriating to listen to people who know nothing about the subject matter talk about COVID. Americans are definitely the best when it comes to disregarding information and jumping straight into rebellion mode. Meanwhile, I have to work around increasing resource constraints because people can’t do something as simple as wear a mask when they are out in public. But boy do they rush to the hospital and demand royalty grade service when they are part of that ~1% who gets sick. Suddenly it turns into woe is me, I should have listened. Yeah, you’re damned right you should have listened.

ICU beds are at capacity in several counties in a few states. The death rate is about to increase, and not just for COVID but certainly as a consequence of COVID. If there aren’t hospital beds available, sorry person who just had their appendix burst, you’ll have to figure something out and find another place to go because Karen didn’t wear a mask and infected some of her neighbors that had a severe response to COVID and are now on ventilators occupying what beds we had left because Karen read on the internet that COVID is overhyped.

Let me put it like this, as long as i'm told going to the bar is dangerous but riots, er, "protest" are perfectly safe, I'll disregard all the bs they say about it.

You’re playing political games. Doesn’t matter if you’re at a bar or at a protest, you are increasing the risk of contracting COVID. Period. Masks help attenuate, but do not outright eliminate the risk.

Bars are inclined to be higher risk than most other gatherings because in order to consume alcohol, smoke cigarettes, or eat food, the mask is in the way. Human behavior leans towards laziness and individuals are less inclined to wear the mask at all than to temporarily loosen it between each swig of beer.

I'm not the one telling people the protests are fine and can't be blamed for the recent uptick. I agree, it's all politics, but not from me.

I will if and when it makes sense to, like getting a hair cut. you are in close proximity 10 to 20 min, so it make some measure of sense. But I refuse just to generally wear one, I refuse to go to shops that even suggest it, let along require it.

Glad you’re wearing one. The only time it’s necessary is when you’re around people. I don’t wear one when I’m running outside or mowing the lawn with no one around, though I still have one in my pocket ready to don if the situation warrants.

I’m just frustrated at how this country has completely mismanaged COVID response. Meanwhile, more Americans will die as a consequence.

No sympathy from me. There's quite a few of these people going to parties and attending large non-essential gatherings and getting COVID.

Read the links. In summary, someone with it throws the party and people turn up to see if they can beat it. Russian roulette.
That is just about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of..

Latest content

General chat
Help Show users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
      There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
      Back